Sunday 30 March 2008

THE ANTI | NEW MUSIC BLOG NEW MUSIC BLOG!

Welcome to the first of my hopefully many rambling music blogs, my oppinion of the ever expanding Indie World.
Let me begin my explaining THE ANTI. The 'ANTI' comes from me hating NME, which seems to be the only thing anyone reads these days other than eachother's Myspace profiles. I got so sick of reading about these new fad bands everyone will like for 3 days and then drop, and simply reading NME's crap oppinion on everything.
I am inspired by the wonderful Filthy Few Podcasts, which seem to have a grip on great music, for instance they have been backing Florence and the Machine since day one and look where she's headed, straight to the top. Speaking of FATM, you should head over to her myspace page, there's some amasing tracks up there right now, my personal favirote being Girl With 1 Eye, which is avaliable to download for free on there.
Now, seeing as I'm posting this first THE ANTI out on 30th March, the wonderful Foals debut album, Antidotes will have hit the shelves, and although I havn't been able to get it (legally) yet, I've still heard some of the tracks. What confuses me is the number of tracks. 2 discs?! I love Foals as does everyone, but is this not a bit much? Anyway, from what I've heard it's full of anthems with enough energy to match our Hummer addictions and keep us dancing all night.
Someone who recently suprised me is Laura Marling, who seems to me to have come out of no where. She's a brilliant artist with an air of mystery about her, and I've fallen in love with her duet with the wonderful Mystery Jets. Keep an eye on this girl, she's 'going places'.
Speaking of Mystery Jets, they seem to be one of the only decent bands playing the Underage Festival this year. Seeing as the lineup was so awesome last year, why so shit this year?
Last year saw loads of big names (Pigeon Detectives, Crystal Castles, Blood Red Shoes, Late of the Pier, Patric Wolf, Foals, Jack Penate), and this year who's at the top of the lineup? Gallows and The Horrors. Where do they fit into the Indie stereotype of the Underage theme? Don't get me wrong, Frank Carter is amasing, I just can't see a massive crowd surrounding this band. And the Horrors? Well I suppose they walk hand-in-hand with a fellow band playing there, Ipso Facto. They baisicly are eachother but with a different set of gentials. Hoping to see bigger names than this at the Festival as more names are confirmed.
Ah, as my first entry to The Anti winds down, let's reflect on what we've learnt. Nothing? Well prehaps you should visit this page again, as I will hopefully be writing these weekly, so check back and keep listening to the sweet music mentioned on this blog.
Have fun kids, have a good week. And in the words of Dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip, Thou Shalt Not Read NME.

No comments: