Sunday 6 April 2008

A dash of Electro.


So Myspace have put a lovely little 'Get to Know Partyshank' sign on their homepage. Great. As much as I love Partyshank, I'd really love them not to go all mainstream and do a Crystal Castles and sell out a bit and appear on Skins.
(photo credit to Mackenzie Hodge)

I suppose I shouldn't be so cynical, as I heard of the Shankers through the medium of lovely old Myspace, as I hear a lot of music. I first heard them about a year, maybe a little less ago. First of all I was like 'what is this bullshit?!' but then I realised I quite liked the bombardment of noise. You can't dance to it, sing to it or talk over it, but you can enjoy it and shout 'OLD SCHOOL'. If you've not heard of Partyshank (where the HELL have you been?) then I suggest you get on their Myspace NOW! They are one of the most original and interesting bands around and I've heard their gigs are pretty crazy.

They've done well too, creating the genre 'Toystep' and featuring in oh so many of those much-loved pretentious art magazines. As much as they really deserve to do well, and are doing brilliantly already (the band have been played by Justice and now have their own merch available), I remember a day when they would respond to your comments or thank you for profile-songing them as soon as it happened. Now they're so big, the least recent comment on their page is from two days ago, and I'm writing this in the morning!
Anyway, enough of my complaining about loosing Partyshank and lets look at some rising Electro sensations, shall we? Let's start with one of my favorite unsigned bands, Daggers. Not sure if you can actually call them electro, but hey, they have TWO synth/keyboard players!
I had the privilege of seeing this incredible band live as they were supporting Robots in Disguise. They have such a brilliant energy they bought the venue alive. The front man, Theo, was wearing only extremely tight trousers and a ripped waistcoat. Niiccee. Trust me, if you EVER get a chance to see this band live, grab it!
If you're more into poppy-electro, let's take a look at Absent Kid. The first track I ever heard was Shoot On Sight. It reminded me of Daggers, so I had a gander on their Myspace. Every song has a different feel, but it still has a little way of reminding you it's them, which I love about a band. Most of their tracks are available on Myspace for free, so what's to loose?
Also, I feel a bit bad for slagging off Ipso Facto last week, so have a little listen to them. They ain't too bad really.
Lastly, for those of you who are hating all this Electo nonsense, have a listen to Alexis Blue. I heard them on the lovely Filthy Few podcast, and then discovered that all of their music is available to download on Myspace. There are some really great songs up there. Quite Cajun Dance Party-esque but a little less uptempo. Still, great and worth a listen.
I will be making a THE ANTI blog Myspace page later this week and I will post the link on here.
Have a good week. I would love to heard from you via comments on this blog, any feedback is great, or recommendations of bands.
Stay safe, Thou Shalt Not Read NME!
The ANTI.

No comments: